By Joe Riedel, Director of Business Development at Straub Construction
Formed 100 years ago, the St. Elizabeth Catholic Church is now an anchor in the Waldo community. Many consider the Parish to be the “Welcome Mat to the Community”. The Parishioners at “St. E” are guided by a strong belief system founded on faith, joy, hope, mercy and commitment to the community.
St. Elizabeth is home to multiple generations within families. Children who grew up worshiping in the church and who attended the school often stay in or return to the community to raise families of their own.
Paying It Forward
As St. Elizabeth looks forward to the next 100 years, many in the parish appreciate the generosity of those past generations who have given a part of themselves to provide a home for the future. In that spirit, the people at St. E are continuing the legacy by adapting and expanding their current campus.
As part of a Design-Build partnership with Hollis + Miller Architects and Lankford|Fendler + Associates, Straub Construction recently began construction on several key projects to expand St. Elizabeth’s mission and purpose to serve the community. The work will include a conversion of the existing rectory, built in 1948, into modern learning spaces for the Early Childhood Center. The main sanctuary will be renovated to improve accessibility, functionality, storage and acoustics. Finally, through renovation of the existing Early Childcare Center, the parish will benefit from added flexible meeting spaces and 24 additional parking spaces.