Located just blocks west of the Country Club Plaza, EF Swinney School gets a second life as luxury apartments.
EF Swinney School was constructed in 1914 for Kansas City Public Schools, serving as an active elementary school for 80 years. In 1997, the school closed and sat vacant for more than fifteen years.
The historic school now contains 33 apartment units with shared amenities such as a workout facility, auditorium and community gathering spaces. A new addition was added to the northwest corner of the building, housing the leasing office, a rooftop patio and 38 additional apartment units.
The rehabilitation incorporated key historic elements, highlighting old chalkboards, gymnasium floors and wood trim from the classrooms. West Hill was honored with the Preserve Missouri Award by the Missouri Alliance for Historical Preservation.